Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators serving their term(s) then going home and back to work.
proposed Congressional Reform Act
1. Term Limit: 12 years.
2. No Pension: A congressman shall collect a salary only while in office.
– All pensions of past and present congressmen are void effective immediately.
3. Congress shall no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
– Congressional pay will rise or fall along with the Federal Cost of Living Index.
4. Congress must abide by all laws they impose on the American people, no exceptions.
– All previous exemptions are void effective immediately.
5. Congress must participate in Social Security:
– All funds in the Congressional retirement fund must move into the Social Security system immediately.
– Henceforth, Congress will pay into and participate in the Social Security system with the rest of America.
6. Congress shall not avail themselves of any health care system not available to all Americans.